Saturday, September 13, 2008

Suburban dad?

Today marks the first fall soccer game for any of my kids. Ironically, my daughter is starting first. My mind goes back to my first soccer team when I was 4, the Cobras. We were purple and white, with fully flammable polyester jerseys. I played left wing then since I was one of the few lefties, didn't switch to goalkeeper until late elementary or junior high. Even though I sort of burned out after playing through college, the old juices are starting to come back seeing my daughter get ready. I will probably find myself coaching at some point, and that's cool by me. Will this be the start of the classic suburban weekend pattern of sports games? Probably. Bring it on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eagles. Colors...Maroon and grey. Played defender (fullback).

Unknown said...

I remember those first seasons....little boys in little groups looking at the field flowers, planes in the sky, waving at mom (me!), but having a blast. Excuse me, I get verklemp at this point!!