Friday, September 12, 2008

I am old school, I guess...

At the urging of my friend Jeff Holt, off I go into blogging. Who knows how relevant my post are to your life, but I'm interested to see how things go. First thought:

When Lance announced he was coming back for the Tour, my initial reaction was "Crap, he won't be coming to 24 Hours of Booty!" Then, almost reflexively, I thought "Crap, I have to go to France!" I'm hoping to make that happen, but depends if my wife can go with or if it's some sort of weekend sortie with my dad.

Seems like Lance can go nowhere but down, I mean the guy left at the top of the sport. But think of the result if he wins. He would blast into the statosphere and be a bigger icon than he is.

He has a lot riding on it in a sense, but at the same time doesn't. With the cancer community following the 7-Star General of the LiveSTRONG Army, and with the sporting world watching as well, he cannot have anything go wrong or some sort of scandal break out. If he doesn't win, it's not the end of the world, but his star may lose some shine as a "declining athlete coming back and finding he can't compete." My sense is that he has vetted the race and the riders in contention and thinks he can school them, so I say rock on.

No comments: