Saturday, March 27, 2010

Austin, LiveSTRONG, & Spicy Mochas

I just came back from a weekend at LiveSTRONG headquarters in Austin, TX. Three things were on the agenda. First up was the spring meeting of the LiveSTRONG Young Leaders Cancer Council. The YLCC was formed in 2009 as a way to bring in fresh and innovative ideas from a select group of individuals less than 40 years old. Sort of a “LiveSTRONG 2.0” group, and what an impressive group it is. Handpicked by the LiveSTRONG leadership and current YLCC members, these young leaders bring innovative ideas from the financial, VC, medical, legal, entertainment, and nonprofit sectors, and many are cancer survivors. We have various subcommittees tasked with addressing a wide range of issues facing the LiveSTRONG foundation. I chair a Special Projects subcommittee that is addressing some interesting fundraising models. Our plan is to help LiveSTRONG roll out some new ideas and expand their fundraising scope over the next 5 years.

The second part of the weekend was the kickoff reception for the inaugural Presidents Circle, which is a special fund created by LiveSTRONG President and CEO, Doug Ulman, and funded by a small but growing group of donors. It is an honor to be part of this inaugural donor class, and I know our funds will help Doug do amazing and innovative things.

My final stop of the weekend was to meet with Gary Metcalf of Cadence Sports, which 24HoB partnered with to run our events. Gary and his team are based in Austin, and we planned to ride Saturday morning and chat about all things booty. As it turned out, the rain and cold came rolling in the night before, and I was still coming off a cold, so we sacked the ride and instead met at Juan Pelota cafĂ©, which is housed inside Mellow Johnny’s Bike Shop. If you don’t know the origins of “Mellow Johnny” and “Juan Pelota”, come find me or shoot me a note and I’ll explain. Gary and I had a great chat, and best of all I had the best coffee drink I’ve ever had at JP’s: a Mocha Azteca. OMG. Think mocha, but add Ancho Chili and Cayenne pepper powders to the chocolate. It was an “uh-oh!” then “ahhhh…yummy” experience. Try one next time you are there. Amazing.

Now I’m back in Charlotte energized after being with such great leaders and thought provoking conversation. I can’t wait until my next visit.

No comments: